Saturday, June 29, 2013

Sunshine

The sun is beating down on the Southwest region of the United States, something you may already know if you watch/read the news. What you won't hear a lot about is the heat we are experiencing in the Pacific Northwest, which is accompanied by an unusual 100% humidity. The normal summer temperature here is 72 to 73 degrees (62-65 in town) with low humidity. Today town hit 81 and where I live hit 92. Throw in a high pollen level and having to sleep in a sun-room during the day...

I haven't been sleeping. Not sleeping, pollen, and humidity all trigger my asthma. Struggling to breath makes me tired. I skip working out when I'm tired. When I don't work out I stress out about not working out. There is enough going on in my life that I don't need to stress about anything else right now!

Work has been busy, I worked 95 hours in two weeks, and was scheduled to work 107. When I got off this morning I begged a coworker to take my shift tonight and went to my Mom's to sleep. She doesn't live far from me so it was already 90 degrees when I got there, but she has more fans and not as many windows (I have south, east, and north facing windows - it's more a steam room than a sun-room at the moment)... so I crawled in to bed and actually got 8 solid hours of sleep today.

Then I got up and worked out. I ran 1 mile and walked 1 mile. It felt great to be working out for the first time in NINE days. Sleeping, working out, and not working are making me feel better already. My asthma is still touchy, but hopefully I will be able to sleep at night until this heat wave passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment