Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Strawberry Lemonade Smoothie

Whenever I went out to dinner with my family growing up I would beg to get a strawberry lemonade. Generally they were more expensive and didn't come with refills, so I would order a cheaper meal and nurse the lemonade until it was time to leave. My family was very poor, so going out to eat was a rarity.

Now I generally don't eat out. There is only one restaurant in the area that has a gluten free menu and all the reviews I've read talk about cross contamination issues. Two other restaurants have been kind enough to accommodate me on occasion, but neither of them serve my fondly remembered lemonade.

So a few weeks ago I set out to recreate my memory in the blender, with healthier ingredients. My first try was naaaasty. This one is much better, and much more simple!


5 cups baby kale (or any greens)
1/2 cup water
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 frozen banana
1 container lemon soy yogurt
1/3 lemon - juiced
1 tablespoon local raw honey

I like to blend my greens and water, then add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.

It clocks in at about 469 calories for the whole thing, which is the sweet spot for a late breakfast. I'm back to work tonight and quite nervous.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment